Tuesday, December 9, 2008

An Unforgettable Voice, Unforgettable Verse

Walt Disney Productions, 1964

Why not make this a Mother Goose day? I love the rhymes. It blows my mind to discover there is an entire generation of children who don't know them. Which leads me to wonder how did I learn them? Was it from the books? From this record? Did we read them or recite them in school? Was it my mother's influence? I have no idea. I just know that I am very familiar with Little Bobby Shaftoe, Wee Willie Winkie, and Georgie Porgie.


On this record, my favorite verse is the Misty Moisty Morning one.

The very best part of this recording, though, is Sterling Holloway (1905-1992). You might remember him for his Puppy Chow commercials or as the voice of Winnie the Pooh. But he is soooo much more than that. He was named a Disney legend in 1991. He has a Hollywood street named for him. He is the voice of the Cheshire Cat in Alice in Wonderland, Kaa in The Jungle Book, Mr. Stork in Dumbo, and the narrator in Peter and the Wolf. Those are only a few of his voice gigs and those are just the ones for Disney. He also acted. Ironically, his first film was a silent one, in 1927.

No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin