Monday, December 22, 2008

"I Hate Christmas" -- Oscar the Grouch

Sesame Street, Children's Television Workshop, 1975

I'm listening to this holiday record as I post. The most memorable bit was the Sesame Street version of O. Henry's short story, "The Gift of the Magi." I love how Bert and Ernie give up their prized possessions, a rubber duckie and a paper clip collection, in order to buy thoughtful gifts for one another. In this version Mr. Hooper saves the day.

Also on the album, "The Twelve Days of Christmas" has a new twist and the count sings "All I Want for Christmas is my Two Front Teeth." One of my favorite bits has to be Oscar the Grouch song; why is it I always love the melancholy characters best? (Eyeore in the Winnie the Pooh stories is my favorite too!)

The inside cover of the record is pictured below, as is the back of the album with the song list and the credits.




No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin