Saturday, December 6, 2008

500 Words to Grow On

Harry McNaught, Random House, 1973



I've been having trouble finding out much about this author/illustrator, but I can assure you I have a number of books illustrated by him. And though this one offers only a glimpse into his style, he is wonderful! He did a number of Sesame Street books, but I remember him most for a few of the 8 x 8s I have on my shelf. 500 Words to Grow On is one of those. This is more or less a way to learn words. It's a pictoral dictionary for small children, I guess. Revisiting the pages was great fun a couple weeks ago when a friend and I were discussing dictionaries and language for children. Everything looks so old fashioned in a subtle way. My favorite word? Newel post.

No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin