Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Humpty Dumpty's Holiday Stories

Kelly Oechsli, illustrator, Parents Magazine Press, 1973

This is a collection of poems and stories about the four seasons and their important holidays, including April Fool's Day, Fourth of July, Thanksgiving, and Groundhog Day. The selections (listed in the image below) appear to be reprinted from Humpty Dumpty's magazine for children. I don't think I got mag as a child, but I did subscribe to Jack and Jill which is pretty much the same thing.

I just love the familiar orange and brown tinted illustrations in this book. I had to resist the urge to scan or photograph the entire book.

Junior and Herman the Elephant Christmas caroling.
It's an image from the story "Bascom The Blue-Nosed Bear."

Little Gray Mouse after a Valentine-nibbling feast,
from "The Tasty, Pasty Valentine"

In this poem "Junior" is not our egg shaped friend. He seems to be her little brother.

No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin