Tuesday, January 6, 2009

A Tasty Tuesday Treat

The Sugarplum Tree by Eugene Field

excerpted
from The Gateway to Storyland
Favorite Nursery Stories and Poems

Edited by Watty Piper, Illustrated by Eulalie

Platt and Munk, 1925
, 1961

(these pages from the 1985 edition)


I loved this storybook collection as a child, but it was lost in a fire a few years ago and so we replaced it unknowingly (darn online booksellers) with a version that looks very unlike the one I had a child. Our original one was the red cover you see here, but this 1985 one is thin, tall, and purple, of all things! The illustrations are really the most important bit and this poem on these two pages was my favorite of all of them. It's a bit along the lines of that Christmas song, "It's a Marshmallow World" and the Lesley Gore one, "Sunshine, Lollipops, and Rainbows." I wasn't familiar with "Big Rock Candy Mountain" back then, but between these happy songs and my "Penny and the Elf" story, I'm sensing a theme.

I expect I'll post more on this wonderful book and maybe even get my hands on the original red one. For now, I'll leave you with some fine poetry and fine illustrations!

No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin