Monday, February 9, 2009

Must Have Monday -- ABC 3D Pop-Up Book

ABC 3D
Marion Bataille, author
Roaring Brook Press, 2008

I'm already a huge fan of the alphabet book. Many of which I will feature in the days ahead. This book combines that love with another genre of book I am completely ga-ga for--The Pop-up. I've been trying to track down some early Hallmark Pop-ups that started the craze in my life, but I've not been successful. However, I have to recognize the wonder that is Marion Bataille with this post.

I bought this book for my sister's boyfriend for his birthday. He's a graphic artist and a lover of image and typography, and when I saw this book I just KNEW he'd love it. The more I look at it, the more I realize I simply must have a copy for myself.

Here are some images of the various pages:


What's wonderful is how creative the author is in blending one letter into the next. Moments earlier this "Y" was an "X" and the pop-up feature sucks in the red leg that made it an "X"

Q and R were once O and P and then when a transparent overlay is placed over the letters they becomethe next two letters.


On an earlier page C flips to form D, and here I and J share a dot.
I love that! My favorite is V to W, but I'll leave you in suspense.

Or if you just can't handle the curiosity you can view the entire book here in this video:

No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin