Friday, February 6, 2009

I Heart the Stegosaurus.

Dinosaurs by Jane Werner Watson
Pictures by William de J. Rutherfoord
Western Publishing Company, 1959

From Loganberry books,
I'm afraid that I don't know much about Jane Werner Watson (1915- ), but a great-niece wrote in that she is in her eighties and living in California. Werner wrote and edited many children's books from 1944-1978 (mostly in the '50s) and has published under at least three different variations of her name: Elsa Jane Werner, Jane Werner, and Jane Werner Watson. Many of these were for Golden Books, including at least 35 Little Golden Books, and many for Walt Disney Productions. Some are religious in theme, some silly or comic, and some truly magical.

I know that this book was probably my first exposure to the idea of dinosaurs -- that subject that captures most young children's imaginations and sparks a curiosity in what our world was once like. I remember really liking this image:

It has a very "old-school" feel to it.

No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin