Sunday, February 8, 2009

I've Got No Strings.

Walt Disney Productions, Random House, 1973

The origins of Pinocchio go far beyond the Disney film (1883 by Carlo Collodi). This book is simply a slice out of the film, however. The bit with the puppet show. Of course, that's all I can really remember of the story, and that might be explained by the fact that I have this book which I'm sure I read again and again.

I love the Italian names like Geppetto and Pinocchio and Stromboli (which actually just make me think of some kind of delicious food!) The animals were some of my favorite characters, however--Cleo, Figaro, and Jiminy Cricket.

The more I ponder this tale, the more I want to rewatch the film. I am suddenly remembering all the allusions in that sci fi Steven Spielberg/Kubrick film A.I. and how the blue fairy makes an appearance and how the little robot, David, longs to be "a real boy." It was all very nicely done. Of course, I am a huge fan of literary allusion.


Love the silhouette image of the three of them running home.

No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin