Thursday, March 12, 2009

Prayers for Children

Eloise Wilkin, illustrator, Western Publishing, 1952

This Little Golden Book was never that exciting of a book for us as kids because it was a collection of prayers rather than a story, but the artwork always drew me in. It reminds me of one of my favorites which I am determined to recover that focused on the seasons.

The doxology was something that we sang every week at church after the offering plate was collected and brought forward and I learned the Lord's Prayer with "temptations" rather than "debtors" though at the Presbyterian church they said debtors... my mom was determined to teach us the "right" way as she learned it in her Lutheran church.


I love that this book includes a prayer from Coleridge.

My version of the bedtime prayer ended with "If I should die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take." Pretty morbid stuff now that I think about it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I adore Eloise Wilkin's illustrations. I have several of her Little Golden Books in my collection; my favorite is "Where Did the Baby Go?"

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin