Wednesday, March 11, 2009

An Early Teaching Experience

Bill and the Fish by Dorothy Z. Seymour
Tony Tallarico, illustrator,Wonder Books, 1965

The cover of the book proclaims it has a 26 word vocabulary and let me tell you it does and it's not "gripping" stuff. Why I like this book is because on the pages one can see where I wrote phonetically how to say the various words in an effort to show my brother how to read. I was probably learning phonics in school and my brother was probably 3 or 4 and expressing an interest.

There is something so sweet and simple about seeing the word "said" sounded out phonetically as "sed." as if the "e" meant more to Jason than the "ai" would have. The book has scribbles everywhere and the story is only so-so, but the memory is alive and special to me, so this book remains a treasure.

No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin