Sunday, January 4, 2009

An Elephant's Faithful, One Hundred Percent...

Dr. Seuss, Random House, 1954

Horton Hears a Who! is the second book by Seuss to feature the ever-faithful elephant, Horton. The first is the one my mom prefers--Horton Hatches an Egg. Still, I decided to post on this one because it's been yanked out of memory and into the now by the 2008 film.

One thing I simply love about Seuss is his rhyme and rhythm. Next it's his focused attention to specific detail.

"On the fifteenth of May, in the Jungle of Nool, In the heat of the day, in the cool of the pool,"

"But clover, by clover, by clover he found That the one that he sought for was just not around. And by noon poor old Horton, more dead than alive, Had picked, searched, and piled up, nine thousand and five."

This particular book celebrates the "little" people and those who have faith in them and are willing to stand against the crowd to protect them. I'm sure we've all known plenty of "sour kangaroos" in our time and this book is a reminder not to become one myself. Instead I want be sure to hear the "whos" in my world and to notice the things others might miss.

No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin